gravel worlds 2019

Race reports
ppereira
Domestique

gravel worlds 2019

Post by ppereira »

Well, that was tough! My in-laws live in Lincoln, Nebraska and I've wanted to do this event for awhile, finally made it happen this year. This is a 150mile gravel race that is in its 10th year and it brings out some of the big names in gravel (several folks from CCB were there). While Nebraska may seem flat, it most certainly isn't on the gravel roads, lots of undulations so it's pretty relentless, over 11k ft of total climbing for me.

I started with the goal of either finishing around 8.5hrs or having an IF of 0.75, for the first 2hrs I had an IF of 0.8 and was on pace for 8hrs, after 4hrs was at 0.75 and I think on pace for 8.5 but things kind of tailed off from there, even though I was feeling good otherwise and riding within my own abilities. I was riding with a totally full 3 liter camelback for the first time and I think the weight was taking its toll on my lower back, which in turn affected my power output. I was using SIS beta fuel in my camelback and kept drinking but I think I wasn't as diligent as I should have been with my nutrition since I wasn't really doing gels early on. So, I finished with a little under 10hrs of riding time and IF of 0.65, 425 TSS and 5600kj. It was an epic challenge and still trying to balance the feeling of accomplishment of having done the longest ride of my life with the feeling that I had potential for better.

I wore my CX kit so I tried my best to rep MRC out here, wish I could have been a bit better!
KTeves
Tête de la course

Re: gravel worlds 2019

Post by KTeves »

Nice Phil. 👍 That's a big day of riding gravel.
KT
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Nice job Phil
davidmccay
Domestique

Post by davidmccay »

Very cool, Phil. Nice work.