GMSR 2019 Blog

Race reports
djming
Chasseur

GMSR 2019 Blog

Post by djming »

Labor Day weekend approaching, so time for another Green Mountain Stage Race. 4 days of fun in Vermont:
Stage 1 (Friday) - uphill ITT in Warren (bit under 10K)
Stage 2 (Saturday) - Randolph Circuit Race
Stage 3 (Sunday) - App Gap stage!
Stage 4 (Monday) - Burlington Crit

Start times for Friday:
Derin Iscan (junior 1-4) - 8:50
Rich Batten (masters 50+) - 9:06
Ron Hagen (masters 50+) - 9:15:30
Dave Mingori (masters 50+) - 9:18:30
AJ Camelio (Cat 3) - 9:32
Robbie Raymond (Cat 2) - 10:15:30
Mark Castrovinci (Cat 4/5) - 11:54:30
Mike Westberry (4/5, 35+) - 12:21
Neyt Iscan (4/5, 35+) - 12:43

Daily summaries/reports posted here. Online results will be at velocityresults.com
Dave Mingori
jraguin
Tête de la course

Re: GMSR 2019 Blog

Post by jraguin »

Let's go guys!!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Honorary MRC'er Brad Bradford and his Toronto Hustle team will be competing in the P1 as well.
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Dave you should move the exclaimation mark to stage 4 now that you’re officially a crit guy.
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

Stage 1 - solid ride for me. Big PR but there was a tailwind. Tailwind also made the finish power numbers lower but while overall good on the climb, a couple spots where I was too erratic. Maybe cost me 6-8 seconds. Wouldn't have made a difference in place today (5th), but it would have put me 15sec ahead of 6th which would have secured my GC spot in case anyone behind me gets a time bonus.

Here are the results by field:
Juniors 1-4 (62 starters) - D. Iscan (14th)
Masters 50+ (27 starters) - Mingori (5th), Batten (11th), Hagen (18th)
Cat 2 (61 starters) - Raymond (15th)
Cat 3 (60 starters) - Camelio (43rd)
Cat 4/5 open (40 starters) - Castrovinci (27th)
Cat 4/5 masters (60 starters) - Westberry (11th), N. Iscan (52nd)
Dave Mingori
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

No pressure Westberry
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Post by mfwestbe »

Thanks, Cratty! (and Pare via Strava). Before I forget, I will mention Bradzilla spent 140k today in the break, racking up sprint points and gleefully has the P1 green jersey.

My day was short, as I expected. Strong headwind on the left side of the course amplified the '4/5' surge & brake thing, but whatever. Came up on the hot spot sprint, and no one really seemed to want to take the first dig. I'd gotten in good position so I didn't have to play catch up, but then... 'screw it, let's send it' and threw out my best. Thought I had a couple bike lengths and eased off, and Jay Trojan slipped up on my left and clipped it at the line. But you can all be much amused I'm tied for 2nd on sprint points lol.

We hit the hill decently hard, only having it once. But I didn't think it was terrible, and was surprised half the field disappeared. Fast forward, inexperienced guy went off the front for a bit solo going in to the KOM and beyond (kudos to him, though, he is a really strong guy), but was back w/ 3-4mi to go. Then, nothing. 1k to go. I'm glued to Jay's wheel watching him tighten his shoe buckles. No where to go... Finally at 500m people started going. Something was off, though, and I realized Jay wasn't contesting for whatever reason, and gunned it around. Passed 20 people or so, and thought I was at the end when I hit the flags. Wait, wait, there's more! Picked a target and clipped him for 4th. Not sure how I passed so many people, but I'll take it. The time bonus slips me up from 11th to 9th in GC. Gaps are not huge from about 15th to 5th, so I foresee a lot of digging deep tomorrow. I guess that's a no-brainer, anyway.

Mingori's report is going to be great.
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

mfwestbe wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 pm Mingori's report is going to be great.
Ha, my summary is that I still can't exactly believe what I saw from "tactics" from the Canadian 53x11 Hammer team. They went into the stage with 1st and 3rd and exited the stage barely retaining 1st (by 1 sec) and 5th. They are completely lucky to have not lost yellow when there was no reason for it to even really be in danger. Granted they sent a guy right away (expected), but when that guy was caught and there was still 1 up the road (and at one point the gap was 1:40 which starting the day was the gap all the way back to 12th) and they had 4 in the field, they did more seemingly blocking than actual working to bring it back.
Anyway, Ron H and Rich B did some serious work on the front as I was trying to talk others into joining force, Ron and I worked a real nice rotation with 5 key players that nearly brought the gap down (until 53x11 actually made moves that made it seem they still had a guy up the road rather than be interested in pulling someone back). I made one unfortunate mental lapse when Trav Dixon dropped Ron (when they had a gap) and rode away to bridge up, then Rich and I did some nice "leapfrog" work but when all said and done I lost 2 spots (as did 6 others in the top 10). Oh well, got some work to do tomorrow...
Dave Mingori
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

Keep them coming! We're missing some reports from the 2s and 3s I think? Hmmm
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Post by mfwestbe »

Day 3 - Weather was chilly to start, but most of us decided against arm warmers, etc, and tough out the first hour.

I decided it best to hop immediately to the front on the neutral start so I could see everything in front of me on the not-so-nice road. Wave to Robbie on his way up to the start, and the first 20 miles were as expected. A few attacks to get warm, but nothing really before the sprint. After that surge, on to Middlebury.

I sat in on Middlebury through the early section, and then things got a little hot. Yellow Jersey (Taylor) took off w/ 2 guys, who abandoned him, because he belongs in a different field. Spoiler, he stays away, passes the field in front of us, and plugs a 7+min gap. Anyhow, the rest I blame on Bill Thompson, who is a machine (he's a 60+ cat 2). The top 3k I hit a 10-12min power max for the year, and was still falling off. I was with about 12 people, and we were able to catch up on the downhill.

During the slacker section, a whole other group also caught back on, which was fine, they didn't start any funny business. Notch Rd, no one contested, and we're on to more slacking all the way past the "hemp" fields. I didn't feel ready to start in on Baby Gap, but then, who is. The ease-in became tempo, which became sweet spot to the KOM, and half the guys disappeared. Then it was some nice relaxing and scenic views past the hop farm. Yay! Mike's favorite.

Got to App Gap and I decided to determine the opening pace. I could still reasonably spin on this section, and was secretly using psychic brain powers to keep anyone from throwing a hard attack. Quite a few people did keep up for a few minutes until it shattered. Chris, in 2nd GC, (oddly reminds me of Chris Gibson, too) made an attack, and that took a small group away from the rest. I felt "okay" (strong quotation marks), until the pitch goes up and I can't really keep cadence ever over 80. I lurked in the shadows to keep cool and tried to keep pace with Bill Thompson, who's still a machine. I did see a few people go, and was thinking if I hold it, I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the top 10. Dig deep, and going into the 500k mark Jay Trojan is now a little back, who had been shadowing me. Cadence is now deplorable, but somehow I'm closing to Bill. We are closing in to the finish and this other dude comes charging out of nowhere; seriously, I think he somehow took a shortcut. But, I was already at the point I was going to empty the tank, so charged it up and took 5th. I consequently was gasping for air, and the railing, because my heart rate was over 180 for the last 10 minutes and topped it off at 190.

Bumped up to 6th in GC, which will be tough to keep tomorrow. Hoping to hang in and at least keep a GC top 10.

I'm not convinced Derin knows how to type, but maybe he'll report in at some point, too...
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

App Gap Stage. A great day in the saddle where I actually played it smart early (okay, truth be told I didn't really feel all that great on Middlebury and have to thank The Diesel for pulling me over), felt stronger into the 2nd half, went all in with the chips but ultimately the house won.

On Middlebury Tobi Schulze attacked solo and got a sizable gap. I was unable to hold the wheels of the "big three" (but then, nobody else could either) of David Gazsi, Ron Amos (both from 53x11 team of yesterday's infamy) and Fred Thomas who picked up Tobi creating a formidable foursome. Luckily a very motivated group of 7 or 8 including Rich and me bombed the descent working perfectly together and caught the 4 within a couple miles of the turn off 125. Then we all decided to eat and Rich just rolled off the front as he's saying "I don't like to eat in a pack". That elicited a couple "there goes the big guy from Minuteman". We didn't see him for another 10 miles later (or more)...
Another small group catches on.
Bristol Notch and Fred Thomas goes hard. The two 53x11 guys plus Jack Jefferies catch on. I sit in as everyone else is in "nothing gets away" mode and get a free ride back up. Through town and into the lower slopes of Baby Gap and Thomas goes again. Gazsi, Amos, Jefferies form a group and give chase. I'm caught out doing the get a gel and switch bottles thing. This time no reaction from the field which is more strung out. Thomas has opened up a huge gap and goes by Rich. The other 3 pass Rich. We catch Rich. Still no reactions.

Okay, decision time. If I sit in, given how I feel I have a good chance at 5th on the stage (and maybe 4th if one of the others ahead falter). But, with the gaps created in yesterday's stage in all likelihood remain 7th on GC. If I bridge and can hold with the group ahead and we keep working that's my chance to move back into 5th overall. Okay, I'm not here to finish 7th or 8th for the third straight year. GO!
I quickly separate from the main field without a huge effort. Keep plugging. Gaining ground. Keep plugging. Stop gaining ground. Head down and go again. Re-start gaining ground. Damn, this is taking a LOT longer than I thought. Still committed, don't give up now. Over Baby Gap (big PR and nearly the same power for 15min I did Friday for the TT!) Closer. Into the descent and I'm still at threshold but can't make that catch. Next rise, almost there. Over the top and BAM finally get Gazsi's wheel who gives me a "that took you long enough" but with a very nice grin and fist bump. We work together (well, I sit in and take one very short pull but I'll consider that "work"). Crap, Thomas is in sight. Wheel car comes up and gives us a "gap is 45sec". That puts me back ahead of Dixon and only 5sec behind Johnson for 4th. Wait, this might actually work!!
Onto the lower slopes of App Gap and I'm able to hold threshold power but trying to match them requires going over FTP and I just don't have that. Okay, manage. Gazsi and Amos are gettin' gone. Start pulling back Jefferies. Maybe I can still get 4th. Catch Jefferies and then the power starts dipping to barely threshold but approaching 2K to go. But, a glance back and I see Jim Walker from Placid Planet closing. Keep plugging. He comes up on me but it's David Connery instead. Damn, that probably means others are closing. Can't hold his wheel. The house is calling. Jim passes me. I don't crack and roll in 7th. But, Dixon and Johnson, who I needed 40s-60 sec on come rolling in only 10-15 or so behind me. Oh well.

No regrets, I wanted a top 5 overall and played the only hand that realistically gave me that chance. Spent 20min just over FTP after 50 miles of racing. Unfortunately it had to come in a bridge and not the final 20 minutes. And came within 10W of a 5 minute best so the matches were there I just had to burn them earlier. I actually dropped a spot to Connery who had a great ride (he did get by Jefferies for 4th; dammit, that was MY spot..) and is a favorite tomorrow. There is no chance for me to move up on GC given the time gaps, even if I took all the time bonuses tomorrow.

And it's gonna rain and be windy. Funner times ahead.
Last edited by djming on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mingori
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

Day 4 (crit) - it was pouring at the condo and blotches of yellow heading towards Burlington and getting windy. Alice and I went home (this was 100% my call, she was willing to go and walk around the course in rain gear). I wasn't going to move up on GC regardless. Mike manned up however and rumor is has another solid result to report on.
Dave Mingori
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Post by mfwestbe »

Day 4 Crit 4/5 masters report.
Knew it was going to be wet, so I did put on an alloy front wheel on my Emonda, which I feel more comfortable cornering on, and now will have a little more speed control in the rain. On my way up to Burlington, of course I get stuck behind some Canadian who clearly got 'mph' and 'kph' on his dashboard mixed up... Anyhow, I made it with enough time to not freak out and warm up. 2 of the top 5 GC guys didn't even show, including Bill Thompson.

Didn't realize I got a call-up, but I was at the front anyway. I knew it was be at the front from the get-go, or get dropped. The neutral start was a little non-neutral, given the pace car was so far up and everyone wanted a good position. It was either lap 3 or lap 4 that Taylor in Yellow took off, and I considered bridging up. Decided not to, as I might just drag the field, and I wasn't confident that his cornering was smooth. If it wasn't, it would mean hammering too hard out of the corners and possibly blowing up for me (and, not for him). He held about a 20 second gap, I think, for most of the race. (side note - the inside manhole cover was coned off this year) (extra side note - because it was wet, the paint on the crosswalk provided some occasional rear wheel slipping...)

First 6 laps were the toughest, and after the first sprint prime, I think most the field was out of touch. We were now a chase group of 5, with Leonardo B (545) in green jersey, Ryan B, both well behind me in GC, and Ryan E and Mike C, ahead of me in GC, and Jay Trojan only a few seconds behind in GC. At this point I'm trying to conserve, and letting others determine pace. The Ryans and Leonardo did much of this for a while, but I saw Jay go up and take the GC time bonus prime (not counting Taylor who took the higher points of everything), and I think this put him virtually ahead of me. Leonardo was interested to keep his Green on, and took the sprint primes, which most of us did not contest. Coming in to the next GC prime, though, I headed up to the front coming out of Turn 5 (into the fast downhill) and held off everyone to regain my lead on Jay. This brings the last 10 laps.

Jay and I are kind of tail gunning, and honestly, taking better lines. Jay has way more experience than me, and it actually made it more comfortable for me that he was there and also not always following some of the lines from the other guys. With about 4 to 3 laps to go, I could sense Jay was feeling good and might go. I talked to him after, and he was also considering what I was. Neither of us decided to attack, though, perhaps because it was wet? Who knows. But I could also tell the Ryans were dropping power. I also knew I was feeling more confident than them on Turn 6, the fast one into the uphill finish. And, "huh, I'm still feeling pretty strong". Time to execute a finishing plan...

On 2nd to last lap I used the downhill to go to the front and push the pace. Held it through the straightaway and Turn 1, and from here I drilled it through every turn. No one counter-attacked. Plan going well. Drill the downhill. No one passes. Try to keep it smooth and give it my best up the finish. Leonardo is able to pass me, but I hold off the other 3 to finish 3rd, and hold my GC place from Jay.

Because of the no-shows, this bumped me up to 4th in the GC, 36 seconds from 3rd. There's always possibilities of 'if I had...' maybe I could have gotten that 36 seconds somewhere, but I'm quite happy with how I managed the weekend. Probably one of the best races I've ridden and it's satisfying to see training pay off.

In other news, Derin held on to his 6th place GC in the junior field. Kudos!
ppereira
Domestique

Post by ppereira »

great racing this weekend, Mike, you really killed it! (and great job everyone else too, I still can't see myself stringing together 3 or 4 days of racing like that)