New Haven Grand Prix 2019

Race reports
Jacob
Peloton

New Haven Grand Prix 2019

Post by Jacob »

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/ind ... oorc01owcs

Suffering Mike Westberry is the top story of the local news NHGP wrap-up!
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: New Haven Grand Prix 2019

Post by pace21 »

The 2 women chanting “make that money!” Were sooooo committed. They started during warmups 45 minutes before the first race and were still going strong 2 hours later when I left. That’s dedication, the sport needs more of these folks!
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Post by mfwestbe »

ha! Definitely worth going down, although I think that picture may have actually been taken during the warm-up time before the masters race. I don't look enough in pain.

Race report: Started up front with Paul (yay!). Got clipped in and stayed up front, 10-15 wheel and feeling good (yay!). Lap 2 or 3 someone decided to slam into the rail coming out of Turn 2, and I had nowhere to go so dropped to 10mph and watched 35 people go by (boo!). A break was forming about this time, too, so everything was stretched. I passed pack fodder as best I could. Then was with about 6 others who suck at taking fast lines through turns for the next 15 minutes till we got pulled (wound up 26 of 42). And for me to say something about bad cornering, you know it wasn't good. Once it was clear it wasn't going anywhere I think I went off the front for a hard solo lap for the heck of it. Paul and Jacob both stayed with the 'main' group which gave up trying to chase Jaymz Lipinski (a 17 yr old...) and co, who almost lapped them.

Chris Pare consoled me afterward as we got fresh New Haven pizza and beer, and reminded me of words from the Great Scotsman (aka Smudger): "bike racing is a [explicative redacted] lottery."

Thinking on the plus side and especially considering my last 3 years - at least I did not also wind up in the rail (yay!).
tsavage
Chasseur

Post by tsavage »

The women's Pro race was won by a teenager too.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells