2021 Brinkerhoff Series - Race #2 June 12th

Race reports
jraguin
Tête de la course

2021 Brinkerhoff Series - Race #2 June 12th

Post by jraguin »

Figured I was writing it up for my coach, so I would cut and paste here (added a few comments to what I sent him):

I drove there with Jeremy and we talked about the race. First race in 2 years. I realized I shouldn't put any pressure on myself and the best goal was to ride near the front the whole race and see what happens, whether I try a break, lead out, or try in the sprint. I honestly ruled out the 3rd option in my mind once I saw the finish (downhill with turns, not my kind of finish). B race, Cat 3/4 & Masters. 4 laps, 50 miles. Once the race started, I felt good the whole way. There is one "climb" on each lap which was really the separator. The first time I felt the most tired, maybe because I didn't warm up well enough and took the turn into it wrong. But it actually felt easier each time up (despite my speed going up).

AJP & Cratty did a great job staying near the very front (top 10-15 wheels). I stayed consistently in the 15-25 wheels with AJC. A guy went off the front with 1 1/2 laps to go and I didn't see it go. I think people thought we would get him (turns out he slow rolled it and slowly built up a lead). With a bit over 1 lap to go, I decided to try a break with the thought that at minimum it would speed up the pace of the group to catch the guy. Sure enough, the pack was not about to let me go. I probably stayed off for maybe 2 minutes but that was it and no one bridged. Mingori came out of nowhere and tried a good attack going up the final lap "climb" and got some separation, but people no one bridged and people didn't let him go.

Come all the way around to 4 to 2K to go I was really fighting for position and staying about 10-15th. I actually wanted to come around and lead it out but no one was letting me through as it was a narrow road and guys blocked the whole road. It came to 1K to go and I realized I was not getting to the front. I should have converted to full sprint mode, but didn't really. I was more in "stay out of trouble" mode, but then things really picked up so space started to open up in the final 2 turns. The swooping right was fine, but then the left turn I took it too wide and was losing the main wheels, including AJP and Jeremy. I was following a wheel, but he took it really aggressively speed wise but too wide, realized he was likely to go into the grass, tried to oversteer and jacknifed so his body and bike were everywhere. I went barely by on the outside in almost the dirt. I had to brake & swerve so I lost almost all momentum. I did sprint but most of the power was used on getting back up to speed. I was ended up 13th. I probably would have been 8th-10th if the guy hadn't crashed, but probably not better than that because we both took the wrong line (needed to stay tight, not on the outside).

Really fun day. Great to be racing again with the team.