Fuel Question

Moderators: KTeves, djming

ptmccue
Autobus

Fuel Question

Post by ptmccue »

I need help!! I have started riding before work on my trainer and I find myself running out of energy fairly quickly. In the past I would ride later in the day - that is no longer an option. I have tried slamming a gel right before I start - I have also tried Hammer Heed while riding. Due to my schedule - I am out of bed and on the bike within 15 minutes so there isn't much time to eat and wait. Getting up earlier is not an option either since I am already going to bed as early as I can.

My rides are 90 minutes at the longest. Any suggestions for a morning newbie?
Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
Cort Cramer
Peloton

Re: Fuel Question

Post by Cort Cramer »

I would look at your diet first, it sounds like you might not be taking in enough calories on a daily basis. Considering your morning sessions are <90min, your glycogen stores should be more than sufficient to get you through. If your BMR is on the high side, I would try eating a bit more for dinner to see if that helps.
ptmccue
Autobus

Post by ptmccue »

Thanks Cort. One of my season goals is to drop 20 lbs by May 1st so I have been limiting my calories to around 2500. I am 33 and my BMR is not too high due to an hour and 1/2 commute and a cushy desk job (I do have a standing desk which forces a little exertion :D ).

I will try upping my calories at dinner and hopefully that will get it done.

Thanks again!
Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
irrogical
Lanterne Rouge

Post by irrogical »

rather than 'slamming' a goo, try taking longer lasting calories over the course of your ride.
the goo is likely mostly sugar. therefore you should get a rush, followed by a crash as the
sugar goes out of your blood stream. (when you take in a large amount of sugar in a short
time, you will naturally slow down the use of stored sugar on the (mistaken) presumption
that the ingested sugar will continue.) my favorite are clif bars, but i suspect any bars will
do. rather than eat them, tear or bite off a portion, then hold it between your cheek and
jaw (or under your lower lip if you prefer the chewing tobacco look to the chipmunk cheek).
the saliva in your mouth will dissolve the bar slowly, and you get a sustained slow calorie
supply. (dont choke when you drink)

good luck,
--roger
vbrown
Domestique

Post by vbrown »

I work with swimmers on a daily basis & at the beginning of each year I hear very similar questions from the freshmen & transfers. Three times/week we do a 6AM pool workout followed by a lift, so fueling is a necessity. I agree that looking at your diet is a priority. If you are consuming an adequate amount of calories at dinner, adding more will smother your metabolism. What I mean is, your body's metabolism is like a fire. If you throw too many logs on the fire (add more food to your already adequate dinner) you will smother & put out the fire. Your body can only digest so many calories at a time. Adding to it will just turn anything your body is not going to use into fat. And if you are looking to drop the LB's, this is not your answer. The second option is drinking your calories during the workout. And the third option, someone already mentioned. Eat a bar or snack (<300 cals) before your ride to top off your fuel stores or a couple hours after dinner to stoak the furnace. If you have any questions, let me know.
ptmccue
Autobus

Post by ptmccue »

Thanks for the tips - I do appreciate it! A buddy of mine that rides in the morning alot also suggested the "topping of fuel stores" to me as well. He suggested a smoothie with 2 - 1 carbs to protein under 300 calories at least an hour before bed. I think I may try that tonight and see how I feel in the morning. God knows it will get easier when it's not pitch black at 5:45am and I can actually go outside!
Cort Cramer
Peloton

Post by Cort Cramer »

Feeling comfortable, or rather, avoiding discomfort is the key as you mention a 15min window between waking up in the morning and jumping on the bike. Personally, if I ingest a few 100kcal (liquid, bar, etc.) 15min prior to training, I am basically throwing away my first 60min of the session, as GI distress or discomfort almost always rears its ugly head. As a result, I have to make sure my glycogen stores are topped off the night prior. I am a bit of an anomaly in that I can ride up to 3h on no fuel (aka starvation rides), but in general I always make sure to eat a balanced meal the night before a planned early session. I'm not sure a shake of a few 100kcal within an hour of bed will do much good for you, particularly if it includes high glycemic index carbs...this will foil any weight loss plans. You're better off consuming an adequate dinner (low GI carbs, appropriate amount of protein, etc.), including foods that will be metabolized more slowly and thus allow for sustained energy over time.

C