Mt Greylock route suggestions.

Moderators: KTeves, djming

remad
Peloton

Mt Greylock route suggestions.

Post by remad »

I am looking to get out to Western Mass this weekend to ride Mt Greylock, but I haven't ridden out that way before, so I am looking for route suggestions and parking suggestions. And if you know of good places to refill water, that would be nice too.

I want to get a lot of climbing in, so perferably a route that does 12000+ ft of climbing (the more, the better :D ), I might end up doing both sides of Greylock or repeats to get the extra elevation.

Thanks in advance.
jraguin
Tête de la course

Re: Mt Greylock route suggestions.

Post by jraguin »

Here is one for you. We did it every year for a number of years and we called it the Berkshire Boondoggle. It had almost 11,000 feet of climbing.
https://www.strava.com/routes/13787004
It would go up 4 major climbs plus a bunch of lumpiness in between. Kingsley Hill Road (the meanest mile in MA, hits points of 25% grade), Greylock from the north (the tougher side), the Hoosic climb, and then the East Hawley Road (Tour of the Hilltowns) climb.

One way to add a bit more climbing is that we took 7 miles on a bike path after coming down Greylock. You might stay on roads and add more climbing there.

We parked at the Berkshire East parking lot just off Route 2.

I would love to do it with you, but this weekend I already have plans. Too bad since at your pace, you could summit and come back and get me and you would definitely get over 12,000 that way.

John
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

Or you could do the actual Mt. Greylock challenge:
https://www.bikereg.com/47637
Dave Mingori
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

jraguin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:25 am Here is one for you. We did it every year for a number of years and we called it the Berkshire Boondoggle. It had almost 11,000 feet of climbing.
https://www.strava.com/routes/13787004
It would go up 4 major climbs plus a bunch of lumpiness in between. Kingsley Hill Road (the meanest mile in MA, hits points of 25% grade), Greylock from the north (the tougher side), the Hoosic climb, and then the East Hawley Road (Tour of the Hilltowns) climb.

One way to add a bit more climbing is that we took 7 miles on a bike path after coming down Greylock. You might stay on roads and add more climbing there.

We parked at the Berkshire East parking lot just off Route 2.

I would love to do it with you, but this weekend I already have plans. Too bad since at your pace, you could summit and come back and get me and you would definitely get over 12,000 that way.

John
John, I am unable to open the link to the strava route. Is it marked as private?
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Sorry, just made it public.
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

djming wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:40 am Or you could do the actual Mt. Greylock challenge:
https://www.bikereg.com/47637
I was thinking about heading out on Friday, but having an event that does exactly what I want to do on Saturday is extremely convenient, considering it. 5 aid stations is more than enough to stay hydrated during the day.

Would I be banned from MRC group rides for 2 weeks if I did the challenge?
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

The quarantine requirements are if you travel outside NE and return (so you're okay there).
I seriously doubt this event will get participants from outside NE/NY so you're okay there as well
Finally, their event notes say they are restricting groups to no larger than 6
Dave Mingori
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

Is anyone interested in doing the century challenge on Saturday with me?
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

The mount Greylock Century is awesome.
Brian Anderson
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

Briana wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:15 pm The mount Greylock Century is awesome.
Sounds like you've got at least one taker Rees :)
KT
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

KTeves wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 pm
Briana wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:15 pm The mount Greylock Century is awesome.
Sounds like you've got at least one taker Rees :)
If it was Sunday i'd likely be in. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to ride this Sat.
Brian Anderson
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

Just be aware if you are riding alone out there that there isnt cell phone service in parts. We found out that the hard way in the great Westberry crash of 2017. Thankfully there was a trooper passing by that could radio in.
Oscar
hjron
Autobus

Post by hjron »

remad wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 am Is anyone interested in doing the century challenge on Saturday with me?
Did you get enough climbing Saturday? Hopefully the course wasn't hit too hard by the storm earlier in the week.
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

hjron wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:45 pm
remad wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 am Is anyone interested in doing the century challenge on Saturday with me?
Did you get enough climbing Saturday? Hopefully the course wasn't hit too hard by the storm earlier in the week.
I got plenty of climbing! The course was clean, great ride/event, I would consider it for next year too.