WNR 10/14 - 5:00pm @ 110 Grill, Berlin

Moderators: KTeves, djming

KTeves
Tête de la course

WNR 10/14 - 5:00pm @ 110 Grill, Berlin

Post by KTeves »

Weather is looking real nice. Anyone up for a 5 PM. WNR? Civil twilight is 6:37, but lights are a good idea. I'll post a route later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember although the COVID-19 restrictions for Massachusetts and the MRC group rides have eased a bit (no longer for MRC members only, for example), you must still NOT join the ride if:

a) You have these symptoms: Cough OR at least TWO of these symptoms: Shortness of breath, Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, New loss of taste or smell, Vomiting, Diarrhea
b) You've had contact with a person with Covid-19
c) You've traveled on a plane in the last 2 weeks
KT
eboos
Peloton

Re: WNR 10/14 - 5:00pm @ 110 Grill, Berlin

Post by eboos »

Wish I had my bike with me. Out
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Can't make it that early. Hoping for an FMR this week though. Looks warm enough, see if the rain holds off.
Brian Anderson
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

Briana wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:30 am Can't make it that early. Hoping for an FMR this week though. Looks warm enough, see if the rain holds off.
Yeah, from what I've seen so far we should be good for the FMR. It will be dark if we start at 6:30, but I've got lights so I'm okay with it. Should we change the start?
KT
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

Out for tonight, but...

I'll endeavor to offer up something for next Wed to see if there's any interest. Hoping to have something that's mostly off road but easily doable on a CX rig (or road bike with 28's). We'll need lights but will (mostly) be away from traffic so the hazard rating comes down! Start time could remain at 5:30. Hoping for ~20 miles.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

strat wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:26 pm Out for tonight, but...

I'll endeavor to offer up something for next Wed to see if there's any interest. Hoping to have something that's mostly off road but easily doable on a CX rig (or road bike with 28's). We'll need lights but will (mostly) be away from traffic so the hazard rating comes down! Start time could remain at 5:30. Hoping for ~20 miles.
👍
Brian Anderson
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

Briana wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:30 am Hoping for an FMR this week though. Looks warm enough, see if the rain holds off.
It seems the weather forecast has changed for the worse . . . NO FMR FOR YOU!!
KT
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

Ok...here's a WNR Fall option for consideration:

https://www.strava.com/routes/2753016078914903956

I have it starting at the 5 corners in Berlin but it's a small lot and I noted a sign saying "No parking after dark" so parking on Linden Street (Mt Pisgah Trails) might be better...route passes by this in the first couple miles so can easily be switched.

Essentially it's from the Bill Turner route book. First half is paved and second half is off road (so better for night riding).

First off road segment (around mile 6, off Cherry St) is a little chunky is spots so can be bypassed. It's rideable but has some roots/rocks to navigate in places. Middle section is mostly double track, some rocks/roots to look out for but otherwise easy to move along. Last section is all aqueduct with a couple of road crossings/connections.

I used my CX rig with file treads (33's) and this seemed decent. Road tires (28 min) would be doable but require more careful line choice especially as light fades. I've not ridden it in the dark but would bring the bar and helmet light.

Take a look and see what you think...modifications/suggestions welcomed. For instance, I think we can avoid the Cedar Hill Street paved section (mile 14 ish) and use the Sudbury Reservoir Trail instead.

Weather looks decent for this Wed if there's interest.

I can do an official post if feedback supports trying it out!
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

strat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:11 pm Ok...here's a WNR Fall option for consideration:

I have it starting at the 5 corners in Berlin but it's a small lot and I noted a sign saying "No parking after dark" so parking on Linden Street (Mt Pisgah Trails) might be better...route passes by this in the first couple miles so can easily be switched.

Essentially it's from the Bill Turner route book. First half is paved and second half is off road (so better for night riding).

First off road segment (around mile 6, off Cherry St) is a little chunky is spots so can be bypassed. It's rideable but has some roots/rocks to navigate in places. Middle section is mostly double track, some rocks/roots to look out for but otherwise easy to move along. Last section is all aqueduct with a couple of road crossings/connections.

I used my CX rig with file treads (33's) and this seemed decent. Road tires (28 min) would be doable but require more careful line choice especially as light fades. I've not ridden it in the dark but would bring the bar and helmet light.

Take a look and see what you think...modifications/suggestions welcomed. For instance, I think we can avoid the Cedar Hill Street paved section (mile 14 ish) and use the Sudbury Reservoir Trail instead.

Looks good but have you ridden the mile 9-12 section. I remember being somewhere in that area with my CX bike and not being happy. Might not have been exactly there but I remember flooding and un-ridable roots and sharp chunky rocks with no CX line. Cedar Hill Street is easily avoidable, I know that section. I think I'm going to stick to a road ride this week but as soon as we turn the clocks it's MTB, mixed and the trainer after work for a few months.
I have a 25 mile out and back CX bike worthy route from Southboro to Berlin too. Aqua-Duck all the way.
Brian Anderson
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

Briana wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:31 am
strat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:11 pm Ok...here's a WNR Fall option for consideration:

Looks good but have you ridden the mile 9-12 section. I remember being somewhere in that area with my CX bike and not being happy. Might not have been exactly there but I remember flooding and un-ridable roots and sharp chunky rocks with no CX line. Cedar Hill Street is easily avoidable, I know that section. I think I'm going to stick to a road ride this week but as soon as we turn the clocks it's MTB, mixed and the trainer after work for a few months.
I have a 25 mile out and back CX bike worthy route from Southboro to Berlin too. Aqua-Duck all the way.
Yeah, I rode it yesterday with no issues...I'd say there's potential for it to get sloppy in places if we have a lot of rain but it's fine at the moment. A few rocks/roots to look out for but otherwise a breeze on the CX.
eboos
Peloton

Post by eboos »

Nice! I may have to ride this in reverse on Wednesday. Don't think I can make the start time due to late appointments.