Marblehead 4/5

Race reports
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Marblehead 4/5

Post by JeremyC »

I'm putting up this race report for 2 reasons. 1) I'm bored watching golf on TV, 2) its the first race of the season so I figured people could get some motivational juices flowing.

Marblehead is actually a fun race, and would be more fun with a solid team of riders. Unfortunately I was the lonely MRC representative so I had limited tactical choices. Its 11 laps for a total of 25 miles, rolling with a couple of mini-hills. The biggest obstacle is the wind, as the course is on an island and is very exposed. Last year this was my first ever race, and I sat in for the entire race hoping to make it to the finish with the pack. Mission accomplished however my mediocre sprint left me in 31st place.

This year I wanted more of a workout, with my plan to throw caution to the "wind", race aggressively and have possibilities of either winning or bonking and coming in last place. First 5 laps were uneventful (I rode the wheel of a big huge guy for a few laps-foreshadowing), stayed in the top 20 and watched a couple of breaks go away with no chance of survival. On lap 6 two riders got away and no one did anything. With about 3 laps to go we were 1 minute behind the break and there was zero organization from the other teams. With a lul on the hill I took my chance and tried to bridge across. I successfully got a gap and saw the break in sight but the wind was overwhelming. Stayed off the front for about 2 miles but it was agony. Low and behold the big guy and a couple of others chased me down. Luckily I recovered enough to jump back in the pack. Somehow we caught the break shortly after (oops), and fully recovered I found myself back at the front. Now the big guy was solo about 200 meters off the front. On the hill for the 2nd to last time I made my last aggressive (or maybe stupid) move, launching from the pack in an attempt to chase down the big guy, knowing if I did I would be in good shape to stay clear. At the 1 lap to go mark I was 8 seconds behind him, with probably another 8 seconds back to the pack. If only I hadn't burned that match earlier!!!! To my dismay I could not catch him, I'm pretty sure he won. With 1k to go I got swallowed again, hung in for a meaningless sprint and probably finished around 31st again. Aparrently there are multiple ways finish in the middle of the pack.

Overall mission accomplished, average power for the race was 230w but the last 20 minutes at 270. Set a new 2 min best at 440 watts, if only I could have held that for another minute. On to Battenkill...
tsavage
Chasseur

Re: Marblehead 4/5

Post by tsavage »

Way to go Jeremy. Thanks for flying the colors.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Way to get the season going, Jeremy!

That big guy would be "big Gerry" who you might remember took a bunch of flyers at Salem and Gloucester last year. He did win your 4/5 race.
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
Bruce
Tête de la course

Post by Bruce »

But of course you race was equal to last year's only in the final result ( which you shouldn;t even talk about if its out of the top 10 for the very reason that it rarely says anything meaningful). You gave yourself the chance to win. Okay, you didn't make it. But never up, never in. plus 270w for 20 mins is not bad at all for this time of year. Great job!!!!!!!!!
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Big Gerry:

- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS