Dangerous driver on Dover fitness loop

Moderators: KTeves, djming

artbaril
Domestique

Dangerous driver on Dover fitness loop

Post by artbaril »

Warning/Information request from Mark Dionne, CRW ride leader and Dover TT coordinator

Last June I had an incident with a problem driver on Pine Street in Dover, which is on the Saturday Fitness loop. At the time, I reported it to the Dover Police and told a few people. I just learned of an almost identical incident that happened yesterday with the same car, and I think it's worth warning people about this guy.

Here's my incident:

I was traveling down Pine Street in Dover, heading toward Centre Street on my bicycle. I was going down the hill in the vicinity of Forest St., about 1/4 mile from Centre St. Since I was going down a hill, I was traveling about 25 MPH.

A late model red Jeep (Mass plate "TJJEEP") suddenly pulled in front of me from a driveway on the left, forcing me to brake hard to avoid hitting the vehicle. I hollered out "Hey" loudly to warn the driver, a middle aged man. I saw the driver look in the rear-view mirror, and then he hit his brakes hard, apparently to cause me to collide with the back of his Jeep. I avoided a collision by steering to the left of the Jeep.

From beside the Jeep, I said to the driver "Are you trying to kill me?". The driver responded, "Yes, I'm tired of you homos. You'd better keep off this street." The driver then proceeded very slowly, as if to provoke me to pass him, but I felt threatened by his behavior and I stayed away from him. As far as I know, I never saw this person before that day. I have seen the Jeep in the same driveway many times since then. There is no number on the mailbox.

Yesterday this same person tried to hit a rider with his car in the same vicinity, and the rider is reporting him to the Registry. I am also contacting the Registry. Has anyone else encountered this guy?

Mark Dionne
Merry Christmas to you......IN JAIL!!!!
tsavage
Chasseur

Re: Dangerous driver on Dover fitness loop

Post by tsavage »

Driving Complaint Form
(revised 8/05)
This form is used to file a complaint with the RMV pertaining to the improper operation of a motor vehicle. Complete the form, including all pertinent information. You may attach extra sheets as needed to complete the description of improper operation. The form must be signed in order to initiate an investigation. Mail the completed form to the address on the form or hand deliver it to any RMV branch office.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21171.pdf

Theoretically this will result in the RMV doing an investigation and leads to possible suspension without the involvement of the police.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
gcdavid
Chasseur

Post by gcdavid »

Unrelated to riding a bike, I once had a car scream through an intersection when I was driving on the green. I was able to get the license plate, and called the state police. They did do a follow-up and ticketed the person who said his "boot got stuck" and he couldn't brake. So, you can take such action, and you should follow-up on your initial complaint to see if it was handled. Get the name of the person who took your complaint for future reference.
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

gcdavid wrote: Get the name of the person who took your complaint for future reference.
I reported an incident to the Hudson Police back in the 90's where a vehicle tried to run me down and then turned around (twice) for a second and then a third attempt at running me down, and there was no action taken. I tried to follow up and they had no idea that a report had ever been made. I should have gotten the officer's name.