Cycle-Smart International CX

Race reports
pcollins
Peloton

Cycle-Smart International CX

Post by pcollins »

Day 1 UCI C2
This was my first UCI race and I was pretty nervous. Luckily I got good random staging on the 3rd row, but the start was super hectic. I got into a group of 3 after the UCI-only descent, which was pretty treacherous. We were racing for ~20th place. Halfway through I rolled my front tubular and crashed, which dropped me back into a group of 4 (Sousa, Reardon, and Berthram). I raced the remainder of the race with the tubular pushed back on, hoping it wouldn’t roll again (I don’t have pit equipment), amazingly it held. Gaps formed every time through the UCI-only descent, and Berthram and I got away from our group with maybe a lap and a half to go. I thought I could beat Berthram in the sprint but a small gap opened through the woods after slamming my hip against a tree and I couldn’t really close it down. I finished 24th/63 and surprisingly (I was just chilling at my car when I heard the announcer call my name and I was like “what…”) made the 3rd step on the U23 podium with Sam O’Keefe and Scott Smith.

Day 2 UCI C2
Staged 4th row and got a good start. After a few laps St. Germain and I bridged up to the group of Myerson, St. John, McNeely and a few others. St. John attacked and St. Germain, McNeely and I followed, which split the group up. St. Germain and I bridged up to Dan Chabanov and then I got gapped off from them in the sand pit and it stayed like that to the finish. I ended up 15th/63 and 2nd for U23. I felt really good and this result was pretty unexpected. After this weekend, I'm thinking that maybe I can contest UCI points at Supercross and NBX.
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Re: Cycle-Smart International CX

Post by ahamilton »

Awesome weekend Patrick. I have no doubt about your ability to compete for UCI points. And I suspect there will be more of these in your future:
Patrick_CycleSmart.JPG
Patrick_CycleSmart.JPG (46.82 KiB) Viewed 6887 times
Patrick_CycleSmart_Podium.JPG
Patrick_CycleSmart_Podium.JPG (44.27 KiB) Viewed 6884 times
Photos courtesy of cyclingnews.com and Todd Prekaski
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Those bearded guys don't look U23. You should protest.
pcollins
Peloton

Post by pcollins »

Thanks for posting these photos Alan!