Secret Squirrel MTB

Race reports
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Secret Squirrel MTB

Post by JeremyC »

After a fun road season I figured I better get my 3 MTB races in before I got fat, or feel the wrath of Offroad Chairman Chris Busick. I missed some good races and I was questioning the choice of my first races, due to 2 factors. 1) Michael Cole complained about the course being "unrideable", and he NEVER complains, 2) NO ALCOHOL allowed!?!?!?!? WHAT? Whats the point of mountain bike racing if you can't drink beer after?

There was also some added peer pressure to get a Cat 2 Win and upgrade to race with the big boys. Pare kept telling me Oscar was faster than me and he got 2nd in his 1 race before upgrading, so I had that to deal with. Even PJ won a race, yes it was beginner but apparently PJ had never ridden a mountain bike before, so totally understandable.

I showed up early, and yes I had 2 bikes with me, although I was 97.3% sure I'd be going full XC vs. 150mm trail bike. I pre-rode (pre-rid?) the fireroad and the 1st rock garden. The fireroad was a legit 2 miles long, so it wasn't going to be the typical full World Cup smashfest sprint to the singletrack. The rock garden was no joke but rideable, I wanted to be first into there so I didn't get hung up behind some Freaky Tri-Fred wannabe.

Ben Mast and Rich Cassidy were in my field, which unlike Road racing where you like your teammates, I needed to crush their souls (ok maybe that's a bit excessive). But still, Ben would never let me live it down if he beat me. That kind of motivation is very powerful.

I lined up front row next to the Bubba Series Jersey leader so I could intimidate him with my hairly legs and gray hair. The announcer said the fast guys would be over an hour (ummm nope). The siren went off and it was a bit slow at first. I didn't want to lead the whole fireroad, but seriously someone had to do something so i went to the front to try to spread it out. Everyone sat on my wheel so I pulled off and let Bubba jersey take the lead, which he did like Team Sky in the Tour de France.

He led for 1.5 miles until the left hand turn on to the last 1/2 mile of fireroad before the right hander into the rock garden. That's when I laid down a searing attack and got a gap on the field going full Cancellara TT mode. I hit the rock garden and rode the first part clean and was cruising. I heard some yelling behind me, mostly from the crazy Russian old guy in the field (wait we're all old), but he had to be atleast 47. Anyway I was hoping they had piled up or something but then I heard someone on my tail. We hit the 2nd crazy rock garden and in a split second decision I went left but should have stayed right and it was unrideable and I stalled out and got passed by Bubba Jersey. I jumped on his wheel and its just us 2, crazy Russian guy never to be seen again. I chased him through some pretty gnarly stuff and he was quite capable in the techy stuff. He even got a few small gaps that I grudgingly closed down. We passed Jimmy, it was nice to see a friendly face in what was otherwise full gorilla warfare.

We hit the crossroad and I decided on a whim to pass him and I crushed about 9 more rock gardens, went off a jump, smashed my balls a few times, but bubba never wavered. We were flying, at 33 minutes in we were already 6.5 miles in to the 10 mile course. We passed most if not all of the 19-39 field, including another Bubba Jersey which briefly confused me (apparently my IQ goes down to about 73 during a MTB race which is probably why I always get lost). At mile 8 we hit a fireroad and my 40+ Bubba jersey buddy pulls through, but not attacks, so I sit on his wheel. We were going slower than I (as a roadie) would like but it dawned on me maybe he was tired.

We're coming up on a left hander back into the woods and I say F*ck it and dive bomb the corner and drill it into the final single track (and 3 more rock gardens). I briefly gap him but he comes back but he's breathing really hard. We hit the last fireroad and I attack full gas and he doesn't respond and its clear he's given up. I'm coming into what I think is the finish but there are cars coming down the road and I'm confused again, shit did I go the wrong way? No just bad organization where they decided to park cars along the finish straight. I hit the flyover and cruise in for the W. I can't wait to have a celebratory....Vitamin Water. UGH

Anyway, it was an awesome time, thanks to Chris B. for putting together the team and having the tent up. Now I have to upgrade and race 50-100% more miles of suffering but at least there will be beer next time. Right?
cbusick
Tête de la course

Re: Secret Squirrel MTB

Post by cbusick »

My goal going into this race was to beat Cratty's laptime to shut him up about "40+ sport is the fastest race of the day" and all the other falsehoods he kept repeating to justify why racing sport wasn't sandbagging.

Then he came flying into the finish earlier than I expected, winning the premier sandbagger race and setting the fastest laptime of the day so far at 52:03. Crap, I mean CONGRATULATIONS JEREMY!!

I lined up on the front row next to Tortorici, who was organizing the 40+ field and complaining to anyone who would listen about how we should do call ups to keep the staging orderly. Just before the siren sounded to start the race he said "gentleman's start?" I said "sure" with no idea what "gentleman's start" means, but with a 2 mile hole shot I didn't see how it would matter, assuming we'd be a pack until we made the left onto the last fireroad. The siren went off and the other three guys on the front row took off like rockets getting a big gap early. By the time I lumbered up to speed I was in 9th place behind McKittrick who my limited research suggested would be a good guy to try and beat. There isn't a mtb-results, so you have to take what you can get from cross-results, and then guess at all the 999 guys who only race mountain bikes. Turns out a lot of those 999 guys race mountain bikes really well though. I looked behind and there was a gap. I looked forward and the "breakaway" was reeled in so we were a group of nine when we made the fireroad left. I accelerated, moving up to 7th. Brian Houghs was on the front drilling it and we were lined out. I saw the red sign on the left and thought it was the sign for the turn and eased up to prepare to turn right, but it was the 1st sign that just said "keep going" and I lost a couple spots dropping back to 9th again as we turned into the first rock garden.

We flew through the first rock garden without mishap. I was thinking how pro us "experts" are that we can hit a rock garden in a pack without the problems the sport racers have. Then we hit the 2nd rock garden and proved that pack formations through rock piles aren't the best idea. My plan was to leave enough space to get around McK when he screwed up, but first he slowed, then he screwed up so my gap was gone when he stopped short and I T'd him. A couple guys went by including Amos, the eventual race winner, while I ran around McK tried to get back on, couldn't clip in, hit another rock and had to get off again, letting McK by.

So the lead group got away and McK and I were chasing. We caught a couple stragglers from the 19-39 field and passed them, then got stuck behind too more. I took the left option while they all went right and got past McK and one other then got passed the 3rd on another left option around a rock. At this point I drilled it like I was chasing Greg on a KOM hoping to get a big gap on McK while he was stuck in traffic. I dropped them and was feeling pretty good when my bike went into neutral. I looked down and the chain was running on the spider arms instead of the chainring. No front derailer so I tried to nudge the chain back on with my heel but went too far and now it was on the BB spindle. I pulled over and got it back on, but not before McK went by.

Eventually I caught back up to McK but couldn't manage to pass him until we hit the fire road. He let my by before the next single track and I never saw him again. I noticed my garmin was at 45 degrees, and realized I must have hit it with my chest in one of the rock gardens, so straightened it back. The timer was still ticking so I figured everything was good. At around 30 minutes I looked down and it said 4.3 miles. I remembered cratty saying he was at 7 miles at 30 minutes so obviously I was sucking big time.

Then I hit one of the finishing singletracks I'd pre-rode with Don. The garmin still said 4.3 miles, but that couldn't be true. I knew I was close to the finish and my time was in the 40 minute range and gradually I realized I still had a chance of doing the first lap under 52:03. I TT'd the last fire road, staying to the right to keep from getting doored by the cars parked on the left, went over the fly-over without any air time to the audible disappointment from the MRC tent and finished the first lap at 50:40. Mission accomplished. I kept driving at TT pace on the fire roads for the second lap, passing a lot of people but nobody from my field. On the last straight fireroad I could see the dust from a small group ahead, which I think was Brian Hough's group. It would have been nice to catch them.

Second rock garden, tried a new path, thought I could just go over a rock instead of around it, put my wheel in a hole on the back side of it and went over the bars, bashing my shin. The bike was all right though so I got things sorted out and kept going.

I was feeling pretty good about not being passed by Scott from 50+ yet, but he caught me just before the muddy bridges. So now I was waiting for Pirro to go by. I caught glimpses of him but he never got to my wheel. I spent a lot of time alone and it was hard to stay motivated, bouncing off rock after rock, then started to see a little dust on the trail and eventually reeled in Tortorici, who let me by.

Tortorici: "50+?"
Me: "Nope, I'm in your race"
Tortorici: "$^@$@%"

I didnt know if that meant he shouldn't have let me pass or if he was disappointed to lose a spot he couldn't get back, but I drilled it, hit the next fire road and kept drilling it, passing a 30+ peddle power guy before reentering the SS. I caught a glimpse of a white jersey behind me, was that Tortorici, or Pirro. Damn, what color helmet did Tortorici have? I got onto the fireroad and it looked like the white jersey and peddle power were working together. I didn't want to let Tortorici, get me in a sprint over the fly over so I dug deep on the final road, and held them off to the finish for 8th. And it was just Pirro anyway so in theory it didn't matter, but this was the first time I didn't get past by Pirro in a MTB race so that's something, right?
-Chris Busick
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Congrats Jeremy!

cbusick wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 am No front derailer so I tried to nudge the chain back on with my heel but went too far and now it was on the BB spindle.
To do: install front dérailleur for un-dropping 1x chainring
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Congrats guys. I have just decided that I like MTB reports more than road race reports. Or maybe I like the writing. These are funny.
J.Brodie
Autobus

Post by J.Brodie »

Yea nice work guys! Reading these MTB reports has me at like 95% thinking of only training on the road and/or keeping the road racing to a minimum, in favor of picking up a mtn bike to race these instead.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

And now the MTB race report you have all been waiting for, the not very competitive Fatbike Open.

After seeing the SS pre-race video and hearing Michael Cole's rave review of the course I opted out of the expert race and opted into the Fatbike race. I weighed the pros and cons of this decision and the only real con I could see with the Fatbike race was I was expected to win, being the Mass State Fatbike Champion and all. Or as Cole likes to point out, the Mass State CX Fatbike State Champion. Apparently in a previous life many years ago he was also some type of Fatbike Champion. Either way it would be settled here since we were lined up together at the start along with the other 2 "fast" guys. I knew I had a clear advantage over Cole in the fitness department after he commented that I had more miles in that week than he had in all year. It was probably a bit of an exaggeration but I did have in 275 miles for the week which might be an all time high for me, I'll have to look into that. The rest of the field lined up behind us obviously intimidated by our shaved legs and sweet MRC offroad kits.

I lead the field down the fireroad at a reasonable pace managing to drop all but 3 by the left hander onto the smother fire road before the right hander into the first rock garden / single track section. I pushed the pace a bit and went into the first rock garden section with one other fatbike guy, we both made it through quickly and it looked like I might have a race on my hands. We were already passing the field in front of us which I new would be easier for me since there wasn't really enough room for two guys to get by at the same time and it wasn't single riders it was little groups of 3 to 5. In the second rock garden I heard my chase guy make a mistake and start running. I was able to ride it cleanly and pinned it to get a bit of a gap. It was pretty much over from there. I continued to pass guys through out the race, first it was Todd, then RC, then Jimmy. The goal of course was to pass Cratty on the fat bike but he had a pretty good time and I started 4 or so minutes behind him. The only issue I had passing was getting by the 50+ leader (545 guy). I asked to pass on the left he said, "are you a junior" I said "no". He said "I'm the 50+ leader", I said "I'm the Fatbike leader and I started like 4 minutes behind you" I proceeded to force my self by on the inside as my first polite attempt put me in the bushes. My new race goal, was stay ahead of him to the finish. I'm not sure what happened to him but he wasn't on the top step of the 50+ podium.

All thought the Fatbike race isn't always filled with the best competition it still pretty fun and I pushed a pretty good pace for myself finishing my lap in 53:22. See you all back in the expert field for Treasure Valley (you too Cratty)

Anyone selling a small full suspension bike on the cheap. The fat bike is just so much more fun than my hard tail on these courses.

Brian A.
Brian Anderson
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Briana wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 am ... I knew I had a clear advantage over Cole in the fitness department after he commented that I had more miles in that week than he had in all year. It was probably a bit of an exaggeration but..
I'm surprised Cole didn't start with his usual greeting of "This is my first ride this year"
Glad we finally had a showdown between the 2017 Mass Fatbike Champions.
-Chris Busick
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Briana wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 am The goal of course was to pass Cratty on the fat bike but he had a pretty good time and I started 4 or so minutes behind him.
I totally LOL'd this. I haven't been passed by a fat bike since.... ummm Rasputistsa
Jimmy
Autobus

Post by Jimmy »

My race takeaway: Don't be intimidated by B2C2 guys with tattoos, you're faster than (some of) them. I should have passed a lot sooner. Finished 13th/20 in sport 19-39 but maybe a top 10 was in reach...

These were all great, thanks for posting. See you at the TVR where the #MediocreMillenials will reunite.
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

JeremyC wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:00 pm ... Pare kept telling me Oscar was faster than me ....
Till proven different at TVR this will continue to equate to a true statement.

So cool for the good results from all. Can't wait for the 40+ expert 5 man MRC TTT at TVR.
Oscar
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

Wow. I'm sensing hostility from all over. What did I do to ruffle so many feathers?
After the visual field inspection and a totally unscientific race prediction, I expected Brian to take the W and hoped that I could take the other guy who looked fast. So I followed Brian's wheel for a couple miles of fire road. Didn't really want to push that hard early but he was crushing it so... Toward the end of the fire road I let a gap open and some guy with baggy shorts filled it. I wasn't expecting that. The first sections of rock garden had me bouncing around like a pinball on tires that were over inflated due to over caution (I've already cracked a rim running my preferred 4.5psi). I passed bunches of riders in the sport fields and got some news from RC and Todd that Brian was already a few minutes up. Most everyone was great about letting me by. I always try to be super polite and ask to be let by when they see a good spot. I did have one very spectacular crash coming off of one of the bridges because the guys who were walking it (Even Rich said that he rode those bridges) had said they would let me pass but then stood and blocked the only clean line off of the bridge. I planted my front wheel in the mud without thinking it might be two feet deep. After putting my head in, ears deep and my hands in, elbows deep it took some time to regain composure. The mud on my gloves and bars was just perfect for creating nice slippery contact points. Luckily there was no need for a good grip because the course was so straight and smooth. I managed to crash one more time when I slipped right off the bars on a tight corner and jackknifed. Front tire burped and I lost all that extra psi real fast. From there it was just several more short conversations of "Could I come through when you see a chance?" But I never caught the guy in baggy shorts who ended up second and it turned out that the other guy who "looked fast" came in a minute or so back for fourth. Lesson, don't over inflate thinking it might protect your rims on a rocky course. I would have ridden much smoother and lighter if I had run my usual pressure. Probably a couple minutes faster as well. Too bad Brian smoked my by 5 minutes.
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

michaelcole wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am Wow. I'm sensing hostility from all over. What did I do to ruffle so many feathers?

Sorry Michael, don't tell Katie I wasn't being nice.
-Chris Busick
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

michaelcole wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am I planted my front wheel in the mud without thinking it might be two feet deep. After putting my head in, ears deep and my hands in, elbows deep it took some time to regain composure.
Hopefully someone has this on a Go Pro, sounds spectacular.

Brian A.
Brian Anderson
Jimmy
Autobus

Post by Jimmy »

Briana wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm
michaelcole wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am I planted my front wheel in the mud without thinking it might be two feet deep. After putting my head in, ears deep and my hands in, elbows deep it took some time to regain composure.
Hopefully someone has this on a Go Pro, sounds spectacular.

Brian A.
You should have seen him smashing his helmet on the bars to remove the 3-inch deep mud, classic!
tsavage
Chasseur

Post by tsavage »

Only my 3rd ever mtb race. (and only my 5th ride on the new 29'r) I finished and I wasn't last. That's an improvement in my book.
I started on the front row and methodically worked my way to last place just before the single track.
The Junior leaders (4) caught me just before the right turn so I did a circle in the road and let them drop in.
I picked off a few 40-49 back markers and apparently one 50+ and just tried to stay slow enough to remain mentally aware.
Got caught by a lead woman about 3/4'rs through and tried to hang on. Caught up to RC and soon realized I had overreached and dropped back.

I did stop for about a minute at the half way point to make sure a crashed junior was ok. He was.
Then he proceeded to ride away from me. I caught him on the finish road but there was no draft. He was about as big as my leg.

Anna rode 2 laps (Expert U19) and her average lap time matched my 1 lap time. But then she is a series leader!

People actually walked the bridges? Seriously? They were the smoothest part of the course!
I even rode the big log. (There is one like it in Whitehall that I've been riding all along)
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
fowleezy
Autobus

Post by fowleezy »

Cratty Made Pinkbike:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/race-repo ... setts.html

Looks like another MRC'er on a fatty in one of the other photos as well
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

fowleezy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 am Cratty Made Pinkbike:

Bubba series leader looks over-confident
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Pretty sure that's the World Fatbike Champion!

Brian A.
Brian Anderson
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

JeremyC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 am

I dont know, he kinda looks nervous, maybe because our mtb kit makes you look pro.
Oscar
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

oscarp wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm
JeremyC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 am

I dont know, he kinda looks nervous, maybe because our mtb kit makes you look pro.
It's hilarious how much less seriously the series leader is taking the race than Cratty. He probably had no idea what he was up against
-Chris Busick