Fruitlands CX

Race reports
jraguin
Tête de la course

Fruitlands CX

Post by jraguin »

Thought I would post:
Decided to do this race because 1) I missed the MRC CX, 2) it is a short drive, 3) it is where I got married, and 4) two races doesn't seem like a CX season. So I raced.
Did the 4/5 35+. Not sure I am much of a fan of the "send off the 4/5s, then send off the 4/5 35+ 1 minute later". Chaos on the course as we had to weave through the slow 4/5 guys. Very hard and hilly course. No dirt, only lumpy grass so not very smooth. I was certainly not great at the course, but in a strange way, I liked it. Dick Ring kept calling it a "European style cyclocross course". Whatever it was, it kept you thinking the whole time. Trying to find less bumps on the straights, downhill turns, short steep uphills at various points, etc. I think I need different gearing as my 25 on the rear made it super hard to ride some of the short steep uphills. Fun time. Came in 14th, with John Stieger (club member but never met him before!) and Michael Condon just in front of me, and Kevin Teves riding strong just behind me. Fun times, definitely a race to put on your calendar for next year!
Jacob
Peloton

Re: Fruitlands CX

Post by Jacob »

Lots of Patrick Collins in this one:
http://dirtwire.tv/2015/10/fruitlands-c ... ighlights/
pcollins
Peloton

Re: Fruitlands CX

Post by pcollins »

It's a miracle I even started that race. My chain broke 15 minutes before the start. I had an extra chain so I hastily replaced it but botched putting it through the pullies correctly, luckily Myerson was nice enough to help fix it. The chain was too short so there was shifting problems. I was in the lead group until my front quick release came undone, then I had breathing problems the rest of the race. I ended up 8th. I didn't have time to put gloves on, which resulted in painful hand blisters that are still healing now. This race was hard and a lot went wrong for me but I liked the course/venue and I'm looking forward to next year.