Post by ChristoT »

Race: Scarborough Crit Series #7
Date: Sunday, May 21
Time: 8:50 AM
Category: 4/5
Course: 45 min crit on a flat, clockwise course with 4 turns
Result: 18/41
Summary: Happy with a third top half finish in a row

So it turns out the Boston area is “conveniently” located… about an hour and a half from just about any race I’ve been to so far this year – Coastal Classic, Brumble, Monson, Myles Standish, CCNS Kermis, and now Scarborough. After racing in CT on Friday, ME on Sunday, and NJ (Somerville) next weekend, Ken Harrod will truly feel like a home race.

There were only 21 riders signed up through Bikereg for the Cat 4/5 race in Scarborough this Sunday. Twice that number showed up on DOE – apparently a lot of the local racers wait until they are sure of the weather for the race. I was nicely surprised to see Nick and Robbie in the parking lot - we barely recognized each other with the helmets off!

We got an opportunity to warm up riding the course in reverse direction on the other side of the yellow line. The pavement is relatively smooth (way better than Wells Av.) but there were 3 or 4 pot holes that have probably made a few local dentists very rich. Two of the corners ride more like sweepers and two are 90-degree turns that require careful positioning, especially with the yellow line rule in effect. One of these two turns had a major dip 3 feet wide just off the apex and often created big gaps between the riders at the exit.

We did not have time to talk strategy with Robbie and Nick ahead of the race. My goal was to stay very close to the front going into the second part of the final lap and follow the wheel of the rider who had won the last two events there. The pace was decent (~ 25.2 avg) and with the yellow line rule, it was only possible to move up coming out of the turns.

It’s the bell lap. I’m on the wheel of my marked man running 5th or 6th. I follow him through the first two turns. Turn 3 with the big dip comes up and we get boxed on the outside. I go wide in the turn to make sure I can carry the momentum, so I don’t drop far back. I get out of the saddle for the sprint, still about half a mile to go to the finish. I am on the wheel of my man again, except for some reason he’s not having a great day. He finishes 11-th, just behind my 15-yr old son who picks up a lot of positions in the bunch sprint. I started running out of legs in the last 100 yards and finished 18th overall. I was happy with how the overall strategy played out but there was probably room for another 5-6 positions if I’d been able to follow the wheel in front of me more closely in the final stretch. Robbie zoomed by from behind for 15th and Nick was just behind us in the same group. I was happy with another top half finish back to back and a first top 10 with the men for my son. Oh -- and Robbie won a prem that should cover the gas money and tolls!

As an extra bonus, we went for a nice social ride to the coastline while we were waiting for the results. The only drawback was that we hit a lot of traffic on the way back. Maybe I should have said "conveniently located 1 1/2 hour to any race and 2 1/2 hours from any race."
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: Scarborough Crit Series #7

Post by pace21 »

Great reports! I've enjoyed reading them. You seem to have a sharp racing IQ so I'm sure the results will come...