Lime Rock GP 5/1/2016

Race reports
t_riegel
Autobus

Lime Rock GP 5/1/2016

Post by t_riegel »

Just me representing MRC in the full (75 rider) 4/5 field. Weather was pretty atrocious, low 40s and raining. Luckily wind was minimal, not noticeable.

I recognized a few faces, pretty standard Cannondale-Lingo Jingo contingent, two KMS kids and a smattering of other people who would identify as being on a team, but really they just wear the same jersey. For those who do not know the course, it is a 1.5mi circuit, smooth pavement, 8 sweeping turns and features a 200m 10% ish punch to the gut, followed by a plateau and then the equivalent going down.

The bunch was pretty content on staying together, I had no plans of doing work and just kept my eyes on the KMS kids who were really chomping at the bit. A few flyers went, but a few strong guys always took care of chasing it back. Two guys got away on 5 to go, one of which did not have the legs to stay on. Despite lots of yelling to up the pace, it took until 2 to go for any real effort from the peloton to whip up the chase.

The breakaway had been bleeding time, so I decided against a bridge. As we got the bell there was a surge in the pace and there was a race to the base of the rise, I wound up in the front at the top of the hill, (ugh, thanks climbing legs), kept the pace high and stayed alert. Fortunately glanced over my shoulder just in time to catch one of the KMS kids about to jump. He saw me see him, and got back in the saddle. Two guys from some random team pulled through at the bottom of the descent. They pulled hard, and ran out of steam coming into the second to last turn.

Some guy from 6th-ish wheel opened up, the guy behind me jumped on his wheel, and I grabbed that wheel. Unfortunately, the big effort on the last lap to close a 15sec break was too little too late.

We came out of the final turn, about 300-400m and the sprint started. Breakaway barely stayed away, and I took 4th in the bunch, coming around the guy in front of me, but pipped by the KMS duo at the line.

Sprint is getting there, still could use some work. Best news is that 5th gave me the final two points I needed for my upgrade. Hello Cat 3 team.
Bradford
Domestique

Re: Lime Rock GP 5/1/2016

Post by Bradford »

Nice job Tyler!

This reads as a smart and efficient approach to the race given the circumstances, and you showed the kind of attentiveness required when you're racing on your own.

Kudos on the dedication to getting that upgrade - racing isn't always blue skies and close drives - sometimes you have to travel, and sometimes you have to go it alone.

Congrats on getting it done - you're going to be a strong addition to an already stacked 3 squad, bringing racing acumen and the ability to crush dreams when the road goes uphill.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

Nice job Tyler. Congrats!
KT
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Hello Tyler! Welcome to the club
-Chris Busick
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Well done Tyler. Congrats.
JBurgel
Autobus

Post by JBurgel »

Nice report. Congrats on scratching out those 2 points.
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Great work!
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Lime Rock GP 5/1 P123

Post by Thomas Coleman »

I went into this race just wanting to test my self in a P123 race. With no other team mates and 6 Zip car guys in the field I knew that it was going to be their race. I told myself to follow Cole Archebaults wheel.

As we were lining up for the race it actually started to clear up and thought it might be some what dry. But when we were staged on the grid the skys opened up. and they never stopped for the duration of the race, and my Garmin said it was a steady 38D to make matters worse.

I spent a majority of the race chasing breaks and trying to make breaks. But it would get all strung out and come back together, then as I was taking a breather at the back of the race I saw Cole and 2 other Zip car guys go for it and said to myself "shit". They ended up team TT to the finish grabbing 1,2,3. On the final lap I was sitting in a perfect spot. And rounding the last bend the sprint kicked and crossed the line 11th. My best finish in a p123 race. And I quickly ran to my car to get out of the soaked clothes and warm up. after looking at the results I was the top finshing C3 the next 3 was in 15th, so I was happy overall with the race. it gave me some confidence to when i upgrade.

[WEBMASTER NOTE: Please don't create multiple race report threads for the same race. If you have a race report to post, check for an existing thread and add yours there before creating a new one. The two for Lime Rock 2016 have been merged.]
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: Lime Rock GP 5/1 P123

Post by pace21 »

That's an awesome result Tom. As far as GLV's tactics I suppose it's easier said than done to get away with 2 teammates but the advantage they had was no cat and mouse and they could all give 100% to the effort. Especially with that firepower they weren't coming back without another big team chasing. Well done sir.
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Post by Thomas Coleman »

Nice! Welcome to the 3's
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Re: Lime Rock GP 5/1 P123

Post by Thomas Coleman »

Yeah they had it in the bag, the rest of the feild was much like myself, maybe 2 person teams. So they had to just get away and i did my best to not let any other GLv sit on the front for any period of time. Deffantly a hard race my Np was 326w